| LEO SMITH, WADADA |
Ten Freedom Summers
Label : Cuneiform Records
Year : 2012
Format : 4xCD
Style : Jazz / Fusion
Availability : In stock
Price : 25.20 € - BUY
|Description :||Lauded as 'one of the most vital musicians on the planet' by Coda, and 'one of the most imaginative and explorative composers in creative music.' by John Zorn, Wadada Leo Smith is one of the most visionary, boldly original and artistically important figures in contemporary American jazz and free music, and one of the most distinctive trumpet players of our time. |
Recently turned 70 and more active now than anytime in his career, with Ten Freedom Summers, he continues to point forward in his work.
Wadada considers Ten Freedom Summers as one of his life's major works!
Ten Freedom Summers is based on the Civil Rights Movement in the USA and Wadada Leo Smith has been working on it on and off for over 30 years. It features performances by his Golden Quartet/Quintet and a small chamber ensemble.
Wadada's previous albums on Cuneiform have been extremely strong sellers and have received huge critical acclaim and strong radio
In 2010, Wadada was featured on the cover of the very widely read English magazine The Wire and the US publication Jazziz and the April, 2012 issue of DownBeat had a large feature on Wadada which covered this album extensively.
|Titles :||CD One |
1. Dred Scott: 1857
2. Malik Al Shabazz and the People of the Shahada
3. Emmett Till: Defiant, Fearless
4. Thurgood Marshall and Brown vs. Board of Education: A Dream of Equal Education, 1954
5. John F. Kennedy's New Frontier and the Space Age, 1960
6. Rosa Parks and the Montgomery Bus Boycott, 381Days
7. Black Church
8. Freedom Summer: Voter Registration, Acts of Compassion and Empowerment, 1964
9. Lyndon B. Johnson's Great Society and the Civil Rights Act of 1964
10. The Freedom Riders Ride
11. Medgar Evers: A Love-Voice of a Thousand Years' Journey For Liberty and Justice
12. The D.C. Wall: A War Memorial For All Times
13. Buzzsaw: The Myth of a Free Press
14. The Little Rock Nine: A Force For Desegregation In Education, 1957
15. America, Parts 1, 2 & 3
16. September 11th, 2001: A Memorial
17. Fannie Lou Hamer and the Mississippi Freedom Democratic Party,1964
19. Martin Luther King, Jr.: Memphis, the Prophecy