- Mid prices
- Last items
- Mandaï Gift Vouchers
Sign in or Register.
Delwood @ le Champs des Possibles
Baby Fire @ Magasin 4
Camilla Sparksss @ Deep in the Wodds
Nourry, Clement @ Le Botanique
Solah @ Café Central
Dorella, Bruno @ Café Central
|More concerts ...
20 years of activity !
Skin Graft records restock has arrived.
New releases are in stock !
SOLAH "Ballades" CD is in stock
|More news ...
Une superbe transaction. Merci beaucoup ...
Parfait comme d'habitude...
As usual : excellent...
|More feedbacks ...
| V/A |
Exploring Gong Culture in Southeast Asia : Mainland and Archipelago
Label : Sub Rosa
Year : 2022
Format : 2xCD
Style : World Music
Availability : In stock
Price : 18.60 € - BUY
|Description :||Gongs have played an integral role in the mythogeography of Asia. This is not music that aligns with national borders or ideas of homogenous populations, let alone racial stereotypes and exotic clichés. What connects all of these tracks is a simultaneous feeling of entrancement and social cohesion. Communal and collaborative, its form is hypnotically repetitious, melodies and rhythms spread out among the players using the technique of hocketing in which a flowing line is distributed among all the musicians.
The effect is mesmerising, immediately intoxicating to anybody who loves Chicago footwork, free improvisation, Sun Ra or young hip hop producer Jetsonmade. The music is simple yet mysterious and enveloping, a sound world in which to disappear.
A theory exists but this is not explained.
David Toop (extracts from the liner notes)
This project, Massif and Archipelago, is a field recording project initiated by Japanese sound artist Yasuhiro Morinaga, documenting traditional gong music by different Southeast Asian ethnic groups. The project aimed to examine the impact
of the natural and social environment on the gong music culture of Southeast Asia. During the project, he visited over 50 different ethnic groups and made hundreds of recordings. This album presents a selection of the unique gong music from different ethnic minorities.
The selected music has been divided into two broad sections: one focussing on the music from the Massif, i.e. mainland
Southeast Asia (Central Highland of Vietnam and Northeast Cambodia), the other on music from the Archipelago, maritime Southeast Asia (the Luzon Islands of the Philippines, Borneo, Sulawesi, and the Flores Islands of Indonesia).
2CD includes a 52 pages booklet (complete liner notes + photos)
|Titles :||01. Hail by Ede / VIETNAM |
02. Celebrating the Festival by Cham Hroi (Sub group of Cham) / VIETNAM
03. Funeral Music by Krung + Punong / CAMBODIA
04. Buffalo Sacrifice by Jarai / CAMBODIA
05. Kids Routine after School by Krung / CAMBODIA
06. Duet Gongs by Coho / VIETNAM
07. Funeral Music by Churu / CAMBODIA
08. Ghet Khil by Ede / VIETNAM
09. Offering to the Spirits by Punong / CAMBODIA
10. Sre don by Ma / VIETNAM
11. Preparation for the Buffalo Sacrifice / VIETNAM
12. Chasing Birds to Protect the Rice Fields by Bahnar / VIETNAM
13. Cutting the Bamboo by M'nong Prang (Sub group of M'nong) / VIETNAM
14. Song for a Dead Man by Ede bih (Sub group of Ede) / VIETNAM
15. Harvesting by M'nong / VIETNAM
16. Funeral Music by Se Dang / VIETNAM
17. Harvesting by Tampuan / CAMBODIA
18. Buffalo Sacrifice by Jarai / VIETNAM
19. Melody for Funeral Music by Mouth by Tampuan / CAMBODIA
20. Threshing by Ede-bih (Sub group of Ede) / VIETNAM
21. Hail by Ede / VIETNAM
22. Rooster Dance by Isneg Grop / LUZON PHILIPPINES
23. Music for Funeral Ceremony Sumba / SUMBA ISLAND INDONESIA
24. Hedung Dance Lamaholot / SOLOR ISLAND INDONESIA
25. Gong Music Ensemble by Kenyah (Sub group of Dayak) / BORNEO, INDONESIA
26. Manang Sirang Ritual by Iban (Sub group of Dayak) / BORNEO, INDONESIA
27. Tau Todu (Welcome song) by Sumba / SUMBA INDONESIA
28. Funeral Music by Churu / CAMBODIA
29. Harvesting (Pagaddot) by Ifugao / LUZON PHILIPPINES
30. Tadok by Kalinga / LUZON PHILIPPINES
31. Harvesting (Kandingngang) by Sumba / SUMBA INDONESIA
32. Eagle Dance (Turayan) by Kankanaey / LUZON PHILIPPINES
33. Cole Oha Ritual (Thanksgiving) by Lamaholot / ADONARA ISLAND INDONESIA
34. Ritual for Calling Back Spirits (Short Version) by Bissu (androgynous or intergender) Priest / SALUWESI INDONESIA
35. Ambience: Rambu Solo (Funeral) by Toraja / SALUWESI INDONESIA